Pet Facts Have You Heard?
As I look for information to present on my site I am constantly coming across pet facts or qoutes and interesting statistics.
I thought it would be fun and interesting to list a few. Some are old and some are "news to me", some are what I think they call OWTs (Old Wives Tales)!
- Surveys show that 62 percent of dog owners admit that their dog owns a sweater, wintercoat or raincoat.
- According to a survey by the American Animal Hospital Association, 53 percent of pet owners vacation or travel with their pets.
Read about Traveling With Your Dog
- At least 63% of dog owners admitted to kissing their dogs. Of these, some 45% kissed them on the nose, 19% on the neck, 7% on the back, 5% on the stomach and 2% on the legs. An additional 29% listed the place they kiss their dog as other!
- Most domestic dogs are able to reach speeds of 19 miles per hour, when running full out. The greyhound, the king of canine speedsters, is capable of reaching speeds of up to 40 miles per hour! (The domestic cat can run as fast as 30 miles per hour.)
Pet Facts For Health and Safety
- The theobromine in chocolate that stimulates the cardiac and nervous systems is too much for dogs, especially smaller pups. A chocolate bar is poisonous to dogs and can even be lethal.
More Dangerous Stuff
- Put a sticker in your front window stating the number of animals inside the house. This could save your pet's life if you have a fire.
- Always have the vet check the health of a new animal before letting it go near your other pets.Read about Choosing a Vet
Training Pet Facts
- Many bad habits are acquired by pets because their owners expect them to respond just like a human, and they can't.
- A frightened dog puts it's tail between it's legs because it covers the scent glands in the anal area. Since the anal glands carry personal scents that identify individual dogs, the tail-between the-legs behavior is the canine equivalent of insecure humans hiding their faces. Read about Fearful Dogs
- Be consistent in your commands and reactions. If you're not willing to go after your pet to enforce a command, don't give one.
- Introduce your pet to the new baby when the baby is sleeping. Let your pet investigate the furniture, smell the powders, and all of the other new items.
- Remember to reward your pet for good behavior.
These next ones may be a little questionable!
- Dogs also have been credited with the power of sensing supernatural influences, and seeing ghosts, spirits, fairies or deities which are invisible to the human eye.
- When a dog howls in the silence of the night, it is said to be an omen of death, or at least of misfortune.
- If a dog howled outside the house of a sick person it was to be an omen that they would die, especially if the dog was driven away and returned to howl again.
- A dog which gives a single howl, or three howls, and then falls silent is said to be marking a death that has just occurred nearby.
Go from Pet Facts to Chihuahua Breeder Home